Girls Getting Ahead in Leadership
GGAL is an academic, leadership and college preparation program for underserved and at-risk immigrant/refugee girls. This program utilizes self-empowerment workshops, consistent academic support, and the development of relationships with college mentors to achieve positive student outcomes. Our number one goal is to help our GGAL girls dream big and create plans to achieve those dreams.
1. Academic Performance
Increase the English language, reading, writing, communication and college readiness skills of participants.
2. personal development
Increase capacity of participants to identify and build upon strengths to improve self-esteem, agency and leadership skills.
Provide financial literacy education and increase access, persistence, and completion of post-secondary education in order to have access to higher paying career options and independence in the future.
Increase the provision of a supportive environment through the use of mentors that will increase academic excellence and support for GGAL participants during high school, and as they transition into and complete their college degree.
5. Parent Engagement
Increase overall student participation, retention and success in GGAL by establishing and nurturing two-way partnerships with parents and students.
- Assistance in resumes, college applications, essay writing, financial aid applications, etc.
- English literacy and speaking practice
- Editing and revising papers
- Math, science, and English subject support
leadership & career exploration
- Field trips and college visits
- Mentor program with local college students
- Read about some of our recent mentors here!
- Healthy Relationships workshop
- Financial literacy and money management workshops
WHEN AND WHERE
- Washington Technology Magnet School
- 1:45pm - 3pm
- Oromo Community of Minnesota
- Tuesday and Thursday
- 4pm- 5:30pm
HOW TO PARTICIPATE & COST
- Girls Getting Ahead in Leadership is FREE!
- We accept girls into our program on a rolling basis!
- For more information please email our GGAL Program Coordinator Naly Vang at email@example.com